Referral Banners

Friday, September 13, 2013

Nigerian defender switches allegiance to England

Nigerian defender switches allegiance to EnglandNew Liverpool signing Tiago Ilori has said that he remains open to switching his allegiance from Portugal to England should the opportunity arise.

The defender, who has a Nigerian father, signed for £7million from Sporting Lisbon on transfer deadline day, and is eligible to play for England having been born in London, despite representing Portugal at under-18, under-19 and under-20 level.

"I think I would like to stay loyal to Portugal as I’ve played in every age group for them, Ilori told the Liverpool Echo.

"But I would never close any doors and there is no decision to make yet. If I have the choice then it is not a bad choice to have. I lived in a few places around Kentish Town. I was eight when we moved to Portugal. My mum is Portuguese.

"I didn’t play in any football league when I was in London but just played with my friends. My English family are originally from Manchester and they all moved to London.

Ilori showed solidarity to the Nigerian U20 side and wished them well, when he played against them both at the Toulon Tournament and the U20 World Cup in Turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

you are naijah for real page

Recent Post

script type="text/javascript">